Colonel Mark A. Shoemaker is the Vice Commander for Operations, Space Launch Delta 45, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida. As the vice commander, he leads a team of 15,000 Space Force, Air Force, and contractor personnel in integrated launch and range operations. He oversees the operations and maintenance of $20 billion in instrumentation and infrastructure for the 15-million-squaremile Eastern Range and supports launch and test customers with mission critical range technical and operational services. Furthermore, Colonel Shoemaker leads integration of Space Launch Delta 45 efforts to innovate operations, technology, critical infrastructure, and policy to transform the Eastern Range into the Range of the Future.
Colonel Shoemaker commissioned in December 1996 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at Iowa State University as a Distinguished Graduate, where he received a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering. He entered Active Duty in February 1997. His career includes various technical, programmatic, and operational assignments, including multiple positions in space acquisition and as a squadron operations officer and squadron commander in space launch. He has headquarters staff experience with duties in the Directorate for Space Acquisition on the Air Staff, the National Reconnaissance Office, and the staff of the Office of the Secretary of Defense. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Chief of Staff for the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense (Information and Integration Portfolio Management) in the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense of Acquisition and Sustainment. Most recently, he was the Commander for the 45th Operations Group, 45th Space Wing.
1996 Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Iowa State University
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2002 Master of Science in Engineering Management, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
2003 Officer Space Prerequisite Training, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
2009 Master of Science in Military Operational Art and Sciences, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Program Manager's Course, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2016 Master of Science in National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2016 Senior Acquisition Course, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2019 Leading Strategically Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. February 1997 – August 2000, Lead Engineer, F-15 ALQ-135, 36th Electronic Warfare Squadron, Eglin Air Force
2. August 2000 – August 2003, Space COMSEC Engineer and Chief Engineer, Cryptographic Modernization Program,
Cryptologic Systems Group, Lackland AFB, Texas
3. August 2003 – September 2006, Titan IV Operations Flight Commander, 2nd Space Launch Squadron and Mission
Support Flight Commander, 4th Space Launch Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
4. September 2006 – April 2007, Chief Ground Program Integration, Directorate of Systems Integration and Engineering,
National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
5. April 2007 – July 2008, Deputy Director, Assessments and Engineering Office, National Reconnaissance Office,
6. July 2008 – June 2009, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 2009 – July 2011, Operations Officer, 45th Launch Support Squadron, Cape Canaveral AFS, Fla.
8. August 2011 – June 2012, Deputy Division Chief, Space Support, Navigation and Force Application, Space Acquisition
Directorate, Air Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. June 2012 – June 2013, Chief, Congressional and Media Affairs, Space Acquisition Directorate, Air Staff, Pentagon,
10. July 2013 – July 2015, Commander, 45th Range Management Squadron, Cape Canaveral AFS, Fla.
11. July 2015 – June 2016, Student, Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Fort Lesley J.
McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2016 – June 2017, Deputy Chief, Future Ground and Exploitation Division, Remote Sensing Systems
Directorate, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
13. June 2017 – July 2019, Chief of Staff and Chief, Strategic Space Systems, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense
(Acquisition and Sustainment), Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2019 – May 2021, Commander, 45th Operations Group, Cape Canaveral SFS, Fla.
15. May 2021 – Present, Vice Commander, Space Launch Delta 45, Cape Canaveral SFS, Fla.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2017 – July 2019, Chief of Staff and Chief, Strategic Space Systems, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense
(Acquisition and Sustainment), Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a Colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
1996 Distinguished Graduate, Reserve Officer Training Corps
2003 Distinguished Graduate and Academic Achievement Award, Officer Space Prerequisite Training
2009 Distinguished Graduate, Air Command and Staff College
2016 Distinguished Graduate, Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb 7, 1997
First Lieutenant Jan 14, 1999
Captain Jan 14, 2001
Major Sep 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Dec 1, 2011
Colonel Feb 1, 2018
(Current as of July 2021)