Commissaries offer sweet savings in February
By Sallie Cauthers, Defense Commissary Agency Public Affairs
/ Published February 03, 2014
FORT LEE, Va. -- Whether it's nutritious foods for better health, candy treats for that Valentine's Day sweetheart or all foods in between, commissary patrons will be able to find what they want with plenty of promotional savings in February.
"Between Valentine's Day and February being 'Heart Health Month,' there are lots of options for our patrons to save money at their commissary," said Randy Chandler, the Defense Commissary Agency's director of sales.
"For those who have an eye on their budget and eating healthier, it's always better to buy groceries and prepare meals at home," he added. "The commissary has so many choices available with promotions that go much further than our regular 30 percent or more savings."
Throughout February, DeCA's industry partners - vendors, suppliers and brokers - are collaborating with commissaries to offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Also, the Exclusive Savings link, http://www.commissaries.com/partners.cfm, has more coupons, specials, promotions, sales and healthy recipes.
Coinciding with Heart Health Month or anytime of the year, commissary patrons can also choose from a variety of "Good For You" foods, which are lighter in calories and more nutritious. These foods are infused with whole grains, fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy, nuts and seeds or significant amounts of important nutrients but have reduced amounts of total fat, saturated fat, sodium and sugar.
Customers are asked to check their local commissary for details on dates and times for the following promotions:
· Super savings. The Super Bowl is Feb. 2, and leading up to that day, commissary shoppers can expect to see football-related Manager's Specials and club packs throughout the stores, offering discounts on select products for the big game.
· Special big game savings are available through a Kraft promotion through Feb. 5. Stateside commissaries are receiving nearly 600,000 coupon flyers worth more than $1.2 million in savings. Commissary patrons can also go to www.mymilitarysavings.com for other special promotions.
· Olympic rewards for commissary patrons. Coca-Cola, Kellogg's, P&G and The J.M Smucker Company, sponsors of Team USA at the 2014 Winter Olympics, are offering savings to commissary patrons on a number of participating brands. Patrons can look for special commissary displays and digital coupons offered through the Commissary Rewards Card program. To join the program, simply obtain a rewards card at any commissary, register it by following the instructions on the back of the card, clip digital coupons and save additional money when you check out. Rewards card users will also have the opportunity to enter for a chance to win one of eight $500 Visa gift cards by purchasing any four participating products. This promotion ends Feb. 28.
· The Kashi Winter Olympic program is offering coupons on Kashi and Silk Milk through Feb. 5 in commissaries. There are product demonstrations and extra savings on cereal, granola bars, cookies, crackers, frozen waffles, pizza and entrees.
· ConAgra Foods will feature the "Celebrate at Home with La Choy! Chinese New Year Event" beginning Jan. 31, providing savings on select La Choy items along with recipes and coupons that cross-bundle with certain produce and meat products.
"There are so many exciting events occurring in February - the 2014 Winter Olympics, the Super Bowl, the Chinese New Year celebration, Valentine's Day and Heart Healthy Month," Chandler said. "Enjoy all of these events with your friends and family and don't forget to stock up on all your party foods at your commissary."