Taxes: Frequently Asked Questions

  • Published
  • By Heidi Hunt
  • Heidi Hunt
Tax season will soon be behind us, and while some taxpayers are waiting a refund, or have paid taxes, others individuals have yet to file.

Whatever the reason for the delay, volunteers at the Tax Assistance Program offer free income tax return preparation in effort to meet the April 15 deadline.

The following are answers to frequently asked questions, provided by Patrick Air Force Base Tax Assistance Program volunteers:

1. How much does it cost to get taxes done at the Patrick AFB Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program? It's free, there is no charge.
2. Who is eligible to get their taxes done with VITA? All Active Duty, Reserve, military retirees, civilian personnel of the Patrick AFB community. The Patrick AFB VITA Program is sponsored by the Patrick AFB Legal Office and Project Emeritus.
3. Are uniformed members required to file by law? Yes
4. Have the volunteers who provide services a Tax Counselors completed the training and certification testing required by the Internal Revenue Service? Yes
5. When is the deadline to file for taxes? Midnight, April 15
6. What documents should I bring with me to file my taxes?
-Picture I.D.
-Social Security cards (or Military I.D. with social security number) for tax payer
-Spouse and all dependents listed on the tax return
-Income statements for wages, interest, dividends, pensions, social security, and other forms documenting income received (W-2s, and 1099s); if available, expense statements to itemize deductions
-A copy of last year's Tax Return (if available)
-The account number and routing number, if direct deposit of refund (or to debit payment of any taxes due) is desired.
7. Where is VITA located so I get my taxes done? Shark Center, (off-base) 815 Harrier Ave. Satellite Beach, FL 32937
8. What are VITAs hours? Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
9. What is the number to make an appointment? (321) 494-4718
10. Can the VITA office prepare and process electronic returns (E-files), amended returns, returns for prior years and state returns? Yes.

For additional information, call the Tax Assistance Program Office at (321) 494-4718. The number is available throughout the year for any tax questions or assistance. Should patrons reach an answering machine, they are asked to leave name and phone number.